ABOUT OTAN TRAINING: Workshop Descriptions
|Workshop title||Chromebooks for Adult Education|
T|H|E Journal reported in April 2015 that the sales of Chromebooks to educational buyers had surpassed those of iPads. According to a more recent tech-news article, “Chromebook sales now account for more than half of all devices sold for U.S. classrooms.” (CNBC.com, Harriet Taylor, CNBC Tech Reporter).
This introductory workshop will help teachers and support staff identify Chromebook features such as the Webcam, microphone, and keyboard shortcuts. The participants will also be able to recognize, distinguish and learn how to use apps, extensions, and themes as well as find each in the Google Play and Chrome Web stores. Hands-on exercises and examples of classroom activities will engage the group in exploring more and different ways to use Chromebooks effectively in adult education. As with all OTAN face-to-face workshops, this workshop can be tailor-made to fit the needs of the host or requesting site.
Prerequisites: Individual participants must bring or arrange to have their own Chromebook for the workshop.
|Session length||3 hrs|
|Format||Workshops: Training events at a physical location, of short duration (2 – 6 hours) but may be part of a series.|
|WHERE: Santa Barbara Adult Education - City College Wake Campus||WHEN: Friday, 05/26/2017 @ 4:00 PM||REGISTER|
To find out more about any of these workshops, including dates and times offered, please check the California Adult Education Professional Development Web site. This site has information on OTAN offered training, as well as training offered by CALPRO and CASAS.
Face-to-Face Workshop Requirements:
- The lab must contain at least one computer for every individual enrolled in a class - including the instructor.
- The Internet connection must be at least a T1 line.
- All computers being used must have Internet Explorer 9 or Firefox 20 or later and Adobe Acrobat Reader 10 or later.
- OTAN’s Web site and its contents must be accessible on every computer used during a class.
- The instructor’s computer station should be connected to an LCD projector and the room will need a screen for class viewing. (If a projector and/or instructor station is not available, OTAN can provide them).
- At least 10 participants must have completed the online registration 10 days prior to the workshop.
- All Microsoft Office workshops require the correct version of Office to be installed on all computers in the lab to be used.
- Various workshops will require unblocked access to necessary Web sites.